The Road to Adoption

It all began about 11 years ago, when I was pregnant with Pacey.  Scott was in the army and we were living in Ft. Huachuca (pronounced Wah choo kuh), Arizona at the time.  I remember we were driving down the road and this song came on the radio about a little girl who witnessed her dad shoot her mom and then himself.  In the end, the little girl was taken to church by her foster family and she saw a picture of Jesus and said that He was with her the entire time.  (The song is "The Little Girl" by John Michael Montgomery)


At the end of the song, Scott turned to me with tears in his eyes and said, “We are going to adopt a little boy!”  I looked back at him with big tear-filled eyes because I was thinking the exact same thing at the exact same time and I just couldn't believe he said out loud what I was "thinking" myself!


I started to cry and answered, “I know!”  


Here I was, carrying a child in my womb, and God was telling my husband and I that He already had a plan to bring another child in our life.  While this little life was growing in my womb, God was planting a seed ~ a vision for our future, that He continued to grow until it birthed into reality.


I don’t remember where we were going that day, but I do remember for the rest of what was probably a really short trip (because there isn't much in Fort Huachuca, Arizona!), we described this little boy to each other. We both knew that he had gone through a traumatic ordeal, he looked to be about 5 or 6 when he was going through it, and he had blondish hair. 


The fact that we both had the same vision at the same moment confirmed for both of us that it was going to happen.  And looking back, I think it's funny that when we had to face all of the obstacles threatening to keep that little boy from us, I actually wavered in my faith.  Why do we do that?  We hear God's voice and then when things start to move, or not move the way we think it should, we wonder if He is really going to pull through for us?   


What if instead of asking Him IF He is really going to work things out for us, we were able to stand and say, 


"God, I can't wait to see HOW you are going to make this work!"  


And in our case, HOW God worked things out in such a way that we could only say, "GOD did that!"  He orchestrated everything according to His plan and in the end, not only did we get to bring in this amazing little boy with a tender heart and gentle spirit, but SURPRISE!!!  We also got to bring his rough and tumble, free-spirited baby sister into our home too!  


Today Nathanuel is 15 years old and Hannah is 8.  Never would I have imagined that God would bless me with the privilege of caring for these two amazing kids.  I know that He has a purpose for their lives that goes beyond my wildest imagination.   After all, I couldn't even begin to imagine that God would find it important enough to tell us, out of the blue, that there was a little boy out there with a destiny that involved us.


Our adoption experience became a monumental moment in our lives where our faith was tested, we were asked to do things that we never knew we'd be capable of doing, and in the end, we grew by leaps and bounds personally, emotionally, and spiritually.  


Today we are blessed to have six beautiful children, and although many say we have enough, Scott and I still hear a call to adopt again.  I don't know when it will happen, or where we will adopt from, but I'm determined to remember that I can either fret over the timing and details of how things will go, or I can stand and say, 


"God, I can't wait to see HOW you are going to make this work!"

Comments

Popular Posts