Thank God It's Monday

We have moved again.  And while I could blog about that whole adventure, today I just want to focus on the importance of today.  It's Monday!

While I know that it's easy to get down in the dumps on Monday, lately I've been taking in a little bit of what Joel Osteen shares in his book, "Every Day A Friday," and when I was listening to him on the audio book on the way to church yesterday morning, I thought,

"Hmmmmm...I don't EVER thank God for the day when I first wake up."

And it's not that I felt desparingly guilty about it, but I thought about how I pray and ask God to give me time here to live my life and fulfill my destiny as a mother, wife, and friend, because I do truly know that life can be short and that we are not guaranteed tomorrow...but I also thought about how much it warms my heart when my own little children come up to me and out of the blue, just thank me and sincerely show their gratitude for something I've done for them.

When my children do that, it brightens up my day!  I just want to shower more love on them and knowing how much they appreciate the things I've done for them, well, it inspires me to do more, to give more, they make it easy to bless them when they have an attitude of gratitude.  And as I thought about that, I realized how much God must love to hear "thank you" for those things we could other wise take for granted, or even hate!

So this morning when I got out of bed way earlier than I usually do (I am NOT a morning person!), I stopped to thank God for giving me today - Monday.  Taking the time to do that as I got ready for my walk suddenly energized me.  It's Monday, and I am thankful God let me live to see it!

While Scott and I were walking around the neighborhood, I shared my thoughts about what a blessing it is to have a child with a grateful heart and how I want to express my gratitude to God for each and every day.  After all, I could get out of bed and gripe and complain about how much I hate Mondays, but what if I did so much griping and complaining, God finally said, "Okay, Melissa...I know how much you hate Mondays.  I am going to give you what you want, today will be your last Monday."

Oh.

I'm not saying that God is out to punish me, but I do believe that sometimes we don't realize or see the blessings in the very things that we complain about, and it's easy to take it for granted until we no longer have it.

So today I was determined to remain positive throughout the day.  Did I mention that Donavan is back home?  Those of you who know us, know what that question means!

Yesterday we sat down with Donavan and discussed expectations:

He will start taking classes at a local community school in January, but until then, we very clearly expressed that he will NOT mooch off of us.

  • He is to wake up every morning and be ready to "work" from 8- 5, whether that is working on his resume, working on applying for a job, or helping out around the house.  
  • He is to clean up after himself.  No messes left for others to either pick up or dodge until he gets around to it.
  • Since we are taking a family vacation next week & we want him to join us, he can start applying for the jobs, but since he won't likely be hired immediately, he can spend this week helping out around the house, continuing to help us get settled in from the move. 

This morning, I walked in his room at 8:45 and let him know he was already 45 minutes late for "work."

He nearly missed hitting his head on the bed as he jumped out of the bottom bunk and exclaimed, "Why does this happen!?!?" so loudly he woke up both of his brothers (one was in another room down the hall).

I took a deep breath and explained it didn't "Just happen" but he has to make the choice to be responsible.

And things just kept getting more challenging from there.  He basically violated every expectation we discussed with him the day before.  For example:


Cleaning up after himself...keeping things tidy.  Ummmmm, yeah...that's all his.


And then there's this:


No tv, video games, internet, or social media from 8-5 (when he should be working), until he gets a job.  Once he gets a job, we'll be more flexible on the fun stuff.

  He couldn't resist the social media today, and neither could I!

Today was the first MONDAY my son with Aspergers was back home for (after being gone for an entire year).

The confusing conversations...
Me repeating instructions to him then realizing I can only give them to him one step at a time...then patiently doing so.
Repeating expectations, responsibilities, and time constraints when he tried to ditch it all for hour-long meals and hot showers...
The non-stop talking...
The making EVERYTHING about him and NOTHING about anyone else...
Giving up and just taking care of some of his responsibilities myself because it's just not worth the pain of making him do it...

Then there's me telling him that if we are both in the same house (one room apart), literally one wall separating us, he is not allowed to text me... 

It's all really little things, tiny challenges, small frustrations, but added up throughout the day, it can wear a mama out!  

Ah, and so it begins!

But I am doing my best to not complain, because today a high school friend of mine who is very soon moving to the very town I moved to is taking care of a little girl who just lost her mom of cancer.  She is doing this as she is in the middle of packing up her belongings and caring for her own three girls.  She is doing this as she herself is grieving the loss of her dear friend.

As we were texting back and forth this evening, I regained a very clear perspective of just how blessed I am.  Here is this little girl who suddenly lost her mother, and now her very close friends are about to move further away.  As my friend and I talked about the timing of their move, and how even those little details of a delay in finding a house worked out in this little girl's best interest because they have been able to be there for her.  I was reminded of how God is looking out for us, even down to the tiniest details, providing us with what we need to get through the hard times.

Raising a child with Aspergers is H A R D.  But I am blessed.

  • I am blessed because he could be fully autistic, but he is able to function at a much higher level.
  • I am blessed because he is healthy.
  • I am blessed because even though he is amazingly unorganized, he truly has a good heart.
  • I am blessed because I have a wonderful husband who is an amazing father - he pours himself into his family in such a way that I am completely supported and not raising our children on my own.
  • I am blessed because today I got to see another Monday.  I woke up and got out of bed.  I was healthy enough to go for a walk, and healthy enough to take care of my children.  I got to stay at home with them, and I got to spend time with them.
And even though today was filled with so many challenges I wanted to disappear and cry, I stopped myself.  I took a deep breath, I looked at my day from the perspective of someone standing on the outside, looking in, and I was able to laugh at the ridiculousness that was today.  The frustrations and challenges were actually quite humorous.  And I am still sane enough to see it and laugh!

So thank you, God, for giving me Monday.  If you grant me another one next week, I will count it a blessing and be truly grateful.  You have been so good to me!

Comments

Popular Posts