A Path To Choose

One summer when I was a child, my family went to Maine where my grandparents live.  We all loaded up and headed to a camp site where many other families enjoyed their summer too.  I remember enjoying the smell and warmth of the camp fire and setting marshmallows on fire just long enough to let them burn on the outside and melt on the inside.  I guess you could say I liked mine well-done.

I remember listening to the adults talk and laugh and wishing I was one of them so I could understand what was so funny.  I remember the excitement of waking up and taking in the smells and sounds of each beautiful morning as we exited the camper for a new adventurous day.

But there is one day I remember the most, and that day has always stuck with me as a a life-changing moment that as an adult, I've reflected on time and again:

It was a beautiful afternoon.  After begging and pleading my parents to take me there, my dad finally agreed to walk me over to a play ground area on the camp grounds where some other children were playing.   Once we arrived, he instructed me to make my way back when it started to get dark, then he headed back to our camp grounds.

I was too excited to watch him leave.  My eyes honed in on another girl about my age spinning on the Merry-Go-Round.  I ran her direction, hopped on next to her, and instantly we became friends.  We, along with several other children, spun around a thousand times as we sang songs and asked each other questions, trying to get to know each other better.  It felt like only minutes later when this girl's parents called her in for dinner.  We said our goodbyes and she, along with the other children on the playground, took off running the opposite direction of my camp site.  Suddenly, I was alone.

I looked up at the sky and noticed that the sun would be setting soon, so I reluctantly headed back towards the path that led me towards our camp site.  The only problem was, as I took a few steps down the path, I noticed that it split in two different directions.  One path veered to the left, and the other veered to the right. Both paths seemed to lead right into the forest.  I hadn't noticed the split on the way down.  I was probably too focused on that girl spinning on the Merry-Go-Round!  But now, I stood there perplexed and scared as the sun started to slowly nestle its way down into the tall pine trees.

Soon, it would be dark and I had to get back to the camper while it was still light enough to see.  But then there was another problem.  I knew...No, I really just KNEW beyond a shadow of a doubt that if I chose the wrong path, a big, black, hungry Maine bear would be waiting for his dinner.  Suddenly the panic set in, the tears started to fall, and I hesitantly stepped forward.  Two steps to the right...no.  Wait.  Back up.  Two steps to the left...Ohhhhh!  Am I sure?  Which way was I supposed to go?

One path led me home where I would be safe and sound with my family while the other led to certain death.

The sobs came out harder as a chose a way, then retraced my steps before I went too far.  I knew I had to get this right!  Then finally, as the sun continued to sink, I knew I had to make my choice or I'd never find my way back.  So as boldly as a child can choose in a situation where a big black bear may be lurking behind the pine trees, I walked.

I don't remember how long I walked or if I cried the entire time, but I'm sure my eyes were openly searching between the trees for a sign that I'd chosen the wrong way.  Black bears would be hard to see in the shadows, after all!  But as I canvased the forest area on each side of the path while I walked, I noticed a sudden opening.  A rush of sudden relief filled my entire little body as I came upon the camp site that our family's camper rested in.  Once I spotted that blessed vehicle that served as a week-long home, I ran to the door crying, sobbing...heck, probably wailing as I began to bang on the door.

I remember my dad opening the door, perplexed at why I was crying so violently, then scolding me for carrying on so dramatically.  Looking back, he was probably scared that something terrible - like a bear attack - had happened to me the way I was carrying on.  I've had those freeze-in-your-track moments with my kids and know how scary it can be when you hear their high-pitched screams and think they've broken an arm or leg and it turns out they are just upset that their sister took their barbie doll away!  The relief and anger sets in at the same time, and suddenly you forget about how happy you are they aren't hurt and the emotion seeps into anger for scaring you in such a way that your heart nearly stopped beating!

That entire situation has always stuck with me.  I can still hear the kids playing, see the sun setting, feel the sudden loneliness, fear, then relief as I made my way back.  But mostly I see the two paths sitting in front of me as I anxiously pondered which path I should choose.  Those two paths have always resembled the road of life to me.  There are two choices, two ways to go - a right and a wrong way, both leading to a final destination.  One path leads me to where I belong, and the other leads me to a very lost place, perhaps a place of destruction.

The moment I was stuck there, watching the sun begin to sink behind the pine trees will always be a reminder that time is running short.  I can stop and ponder which way to go for a small amount of time, but eventually, I HAVE to make a choice.  Standing there in the dark will get me no where.

Ever since then, I've been visually fascinated with roads and paths and how we all, in our life journey, have to choose which way we will go.  Will we choose the road leading us in the wrong direction?  Will we continue down it until it takes us to a place of destruction?  Or will we choose a road that leads us to a destiny that we long to see fulfilled?

When I was young, I made a spiritual decision early on to follow the road that leads me to a life filled with promises and hope.  The road isn't always easy to follow and many times I've strayed away from it.  But I can say that my Heavenly Father, like a protective shepherd, has always led me back to the road I'm supposed to take.  And the road has led me through some amazing experiences and places, carrying me into the lives of extraordinary people I'll never forget.  As I've hesitantly walked down a road I'd never been on before, I've experienced a journey I never imagined I'd be asked to take.  It isn't always the safest way, but I know it is the right way.

Now, as I continue my walk, I eagerly hope to share the places this road continues to take me through.

But if you read about my journey, I hope you will remember and be prompted to act on a lesson I learned at a very young age:  We are all on the road of life.  We have a path to choose and a destiny to fulfill.   We are all being nudged to take the road leading us to a life filled with adventure, hope, and promises.  But life is short.  We each HAVE to choose which way we will go... and we all have but a few moments to decide before the sinking sun leaves us in the darkness.  We are not abandoned to our own knowledge, but we have a God who is willing to guide us down the right path.  We just have to be willing to take that first step of faith and walk down the path He leads us.

Comments

Popular Posts